For those of you who are new to reading my blog, here are some tips if you want to see your comments come out of moderation:
1) Do NOT assume I’m stupid. If I write something (like my last post) where I extol eating whatever you damn well please, do not think that because I don’t put “in moderation” behind every other sentence, I’m saying that all people everywhere (especially fat people) should eat candy all day every day!
2) Do NOT be a concern troll. It’s not about my, or anybody’s, health. If it was, discussions of “health” wouldn’t ever become discussions of numbers.
3) Be polite. I don’t mind disagreement, as long as the people disagreeing remember to be polite about it.
4) Do not try to bring in the same tired stereotypes that are blatantly not true. Fat people are no more or less likely to be lazy slobs than normal-sized or skinny people. We all, individually, have lazy days and productive days, and just as people don’t commonly say, “Look at that lazy skinny person just sitting around watching tv all day. Typical! Most skinny people just sit around and watch tv all day!” DON’T think that anything like that will be allowed out of moderation here.
5) This is my space. No, you do not have any rights towards being able to say what you want, unless they are rights I give you. You want to proclaim the evils of all the things I’m saying are good and right? Do it on your own blog. I will not willingly give you a platform here.
6) (or maybe 5b) I do everything I can to make this a safe space. To that end, I do not allow “diet for the sake of losing weight” talk here. (Diet in the manner of whatever you eat is a diet, or in the manner of gluten-free or whatever, is not forbidden, however.) I know that there are things I talk about that can be triggering for people who are recovering from Eating Disorders, and I try to remember to post Trigger Warnings for them. If I forget, please let me know and I will rectify it.
7) I come from a US-centric way of thinking. Even though I have a few online acquaintances who are not USians, I am one, and my viewpoints do come from there. As with the above, if I’m being particularly obtuse in my US-centricity, please let me know and I will evaluate my standpoint. That doesn’t mean I will change my standpoint, but I will thoughtfully consider your viewpoint.
8 ) Douchebags will never be allowed out of moderation. If you are abusive, if you engage in any kind of name calling, if you engage in any kind of threats, the only person who will ever see your words will be me. And I will only see them for as long as it takes to hit the “delete” button. I have dealt with many trolls this way, and have always, ALWAYS won the battle of wills with them. I will always win this battle because I really don’t care that some random internet user calls me fat ass (or whatever).
I hope that you, new reader to my blog, will take to heart these few tips on what will keep your responses from being permanently deleted. If you don’t, well, nobody but you and I will ever know what you said.
Oh, one more thing. If you start out rational and get past moderation, and then you start doing any of the above, you WILL be put on immediate and permanent ban from responding to any of my posts.
Are we clear? Good.