A so called “fat virus” has been found in chickens. When Richard Atkinson, a scientist, did some studies, he found that 30% of fat people have this virus, only 11% of ‘lean’ people have it. So, he started to do some more research, infecting monkeys with this virus, and says that all the monkeys became fat. Here’s the link.
In googling this, I find I’m about 4 months behind on this, as this news came out in August. At least I’m still in the same year. The thing that gets to me is one website’s spin on this:
Researchers in Louisiana have found a link between a cold virus, adenovirus-36, and obesity. They found that around three times as many people who were classed as obese carried the virus, compared to a more normal setting.
Notice how they say “three times as many people who were classed as obese carried the virus, compared to a more normal setting”? That’s definitely skewing what the results were. While technically, 30% v 11% is about three times more, 30% still isn’t a majority of the population. So if 30% of obese people carry the virus and that “makes them fat”, what’s the deal with the other 70%? And why are the 11% of the ‘normal setting’ people not getting fat?
I hate when I hear about things like the so-called fat virus, because, really, it doesn’t matter why a person is fat. Whether it’s a fat virus, or genetics, or some disease with obesity as a symptom, or no reason, it really doesn’t matter. Trying to find reasons for obesity is trying to divide between the ‘good fatty’ and the ‘bad fatty’.
In the minds of people who think they are enlightened to allow for diseases and such, I would be a “good fatty” (or they’d think so). I have an explanation for why I’m fat that doesn’t necessarily begin with “and the pumpkin pie was so good I just had to have three slices!” I would be given a pass on the fact that I eat things on occasion that are “bad” for me, such as candy and cookies and white things like milk and cauliflower and (watch the video if you’ve not already seen it)… And yet, do we care ‘why’ a person is naturally thin (unless it’s too thin, then people wonder about eating disorders)? Naturally ‘normal setting’ weight? So if we don’t care about why somebody who is 5’4″ and weighs 120 pounds (is it a virus? genetics?), why should we care about a person who is 5’2″ and weighs 220 pounds?
The other side of this story is, while Mr. Atkinson thinks this may be a great thing, if some obesity is caused by this cold virus, and they do develop treatment for it, it will make it even worse for the fat people who don’t have the virus. Everybody who the virus doesn’t work for will be judged even more harshly than they already are. Once there’s a treatment for the ‘fat virus’, any fat person who it doesn’t work for will probably be the recipient of even worse treatment. After all, if they obtained the treatment, and it doesn’t work, it’s obvious that they really do spend too much time on the couch and in front of the table (or at McDonald’s, or KFC, or the candy store, or where ever). And if they refuse treatment, it’s their own fault they are fat by refusing to do something that is for their health.
You know, like weight loss surgery is only for a person’s health.